What We Do
Established in April 2002, the Institute for Transborder Studies (ITS) represents kwantlen Polytechnic University's commitment to advance research and scholarly activity as a means to meet its goals.
The Institute for Transborder Studies is dedicated to the promotion of co-operation across regional and national boundaries through teaching, interdisciplinary research, and public outreach concentrated on political, social, economic, and justice issues, and with special attention to the Pacific Northwest.
- Teaching - activities open to Kwantlen's community and the public
- Speaker series
- Special events on recent transborder issues of importance or controversy
- Guest lecturers for Kwantlen degree programs
- Educational services, e.g. written, audio-visual, and online materials
Outreach and Partnerships - involves
- Collaborative partnerships, joint projects, and exchanges with other Canadian and international post-secondary institutions, governments and other stakeholders
- Collaborative partnerships with "Pacific Northwest" governments, stakeholders, and academia to conduct relevant research and serve as a sounding board for transborder concerns of the region.
Research - envisages
- Interdisciplinary research on transborder relations and environments
- Academic program development
- Establishing a Chair in transborder relations
- Occasional papers on transborder issues
- A periodic electronic newsletter on the Institute's activities